Post Op Instructions
1. Strenuous activity should be limited for the remainder of the day. Routine, non strenuous activity is not harmful, unless otherwise directed. Smoking and alcohol consumption should be avoided for 2-3 days if you had an incision and drainage procedure in conjunction with your root canal treatment.
2. It is essential that you maintain an adequate diet following treatment. The day of your treatment, it is often more comfortable to eat a soft diet. The day after treatment, you may return to your regular diet with proper solid foods and fluid intake.
3. Slight swelling and facial skin discoloration (bruising) may be experienced. This is temporary, and will resolve on its own in a few days.
4. Post treatment discomfort is generally minimal. It is recommended that you take (3) 200mg tablets of ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) every six hours for the first 3-4 days following treatment. If you are pregnant, take Tylenol in place of the Ibuprofen as recommended by your physician. If you have been given a prescription for pain medication please follow the analgesic (pain pill) regimen prescribed. While taking the prescription strength pain pill do not drive or participate in any activities which would put you or others in harms way. If you have been prescribed metronidazole, (Flagyl)) do not drink alcohol while taking the medication or you will become nauseous and vomiting will follow.
5. Sometimes recall visits are necessary. These are short appointments that are very important to monitor the progress of healing.
6. It is recommended by the American Association of Endodontists (AAE) that following root canal treatment the tooth should be restored with a core build-up (Filling) and a full coverage crown (Cap).
7. Should any complications arise, do not hesitate to call our office during business hours , for evenings and weekends, emergency numbers will be giving after treatment.